We had a great visit with a nutritionist today. Besides the following challenges she had for us to work on for Optimal Health, she recommends that to be truly successful at making healthy choices, one must journal all foods and beverages consumed so one is aware of what one is eating.
Here are her challenges:
1. Eat a minimum of 3 meals per day, every day- 33% more likely to binge
later in the day if you skip breakfast, 66% more likely to binge later in the
day if you skip 2 meals.
3. Balance amounts of foods eaten at meals- portion control is as important as the types of foods you are eating
4. Eat breakfast every day- see #1
5. Avoid sugar sweetened beverages- empty, useless calories
6. Aim for 3 servings of low-fat dairy per day- milk or yogurt
7. Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables combined per day
8. Avoid trans fats and limit saturated fats- all processed foods contain trans fats even if the label declares 0 trans fats- look for hydrogenated fats in the ingredient listing.
9. Use healthy food preparation methods- totally avoid frying foods.
10. Plan ahead- both the meals for the week as well as your shopping list
Questions or Comments: